Objectives of the program are:
- teach decision making, teamwork, self-discipline, self-confidence & problem solving;
- promote the highest standards of safety, sportsmanship, & ethical behavior;
- encourage an appreciation and understanding of natural resources;
- develop leadership abilities;
- build character and willingness to assume citizenship responsibility;
- furnish enjoyable, positive relationships with peers and adult instructors;
- strengthen families through participation in lifelong recreational activities;
- build awareness of related career opportunities
The Polk County Hot Shots program includes disciplines for archery, rifle and shotgun. Each discipline is taught by a State Certified Instructor. There are even opportunities for members to test their shooting skills in county, regional, state and national competitions. The program is open to all youth in 4th through 12th grade and of the ages 9 to 18. All participants must become 4H members. We meet once monthly through out the year (typically the first Saturday of the month).
Please feel free to attend any of our meetings to see what we are about (calendar) or contact any of the instructors (contacts us) with any questions you might have.
For more information on becoming a 4H member please go to the Polk County 4H website